Donnerstag, 16. April 2026

 What could be better...





I'm thrilled to be able to watch the storks; they breed here and raise their young before setting off again at the end of August on their long migration to South Africa. We can see them here throughout the spring and summer.





The flowers in the garden are doing their best, just like in nature; it's a dream to be out and about.



:-)))








Picnic at Hochstein/Lusatia



I am currently sewing the binding onto my last quilt.




...and I was thrilled to see Tchaikovsky's Sleeping Beauty again at the Semperoper... the ensemble is fantastic.





A few years ago, I took a week-long handweaving course, and I recently had the great pleasure of working on a loom... unfortunately, it's a 1.5-hour drive away. If it were closer, I'd go more often... it's so much fun! - I'm aware that weavers used to have a tough job. -

Damask weaving began in 1666 in Großschönau, Germany. Later, in 1834, Jacquard machines were introduced for damask looms... Großschönau was considered the center of this weaving industry in Germany —three-quarters of the inhabitants wove there during its heyday 18th/19th century.




Timber-framed houses that housed looms



I'm currently weaving twill fabric, which is still on the loom. I'll present it as soon as it's finished.

Warmest regards to everyone near and far. 

Have a good time. 

Viola




64 Kommentare:

  1. You have such a pleasant place for walking and so much culture! I look forward to viewing the finished quilt, happy stitching!

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. ...Viola, spring is always worth the wait. Enjoy it!

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. What a lovely post. I've always wanted to see storks on rooftops. That frog looks like he's smiling. Isn't spring such an exciting time of year? It looks like it's been good for you too. Happy stitching and walking.

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. Wie schön die Störche zu sehen bei dir und auch die hübschen Tulpenfotos, toll der Spaziergang von dir mit den alten Häuser mit Umgebung und dem Frosch!
    Der Quilt hast du den Rand genäht und der Besuch von der Vorführung.
    Was für eine schöne Webstück du arbeitest , da bin ich gespannt wenn er fertig ist!
    Hab einen schönen Frühling!
    Lieben Gruss Elke

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. You are a very busy lady. I love the flowers. We don't have many flowers yet. Soon, I hope.

    AntwortenLöschen
  6. Che belle quelle cicogne, che hanno costruito il loro nido sui comignoli !! E che belle passeggiate puoi fare, è un bel rospo quello che vedo in foto ??Anche a me piaceva andare a teatro , ora non ci vado più, non ho più nessuno con cui andare !!
    Complimenti per le tue coperte, quanto lavoro e quanta pazienza !! Saluti cari.

    AntwortenLöschen
  7. Hej Viola!
    Härligt med en promenad i skogen nu på våren. Vitsipporna har inte slagit ut hos oss ännu, men vi har en fin skog i närheten där de brukar täcka marken. Fint att kunna väva, har aldrig provat det själv.
    Ha det så fint /Många hälsningar Marika

    AntwortenLöschen
  8. I read an article today about storks nesting on pylons, in Southeast France. They build nesting platforms for them as well to tempt them from there...and many are no longer migrating due to climate change.
    Beautiful flowers...I don't grow many...I'm more successful with food!!
    I have garden friends ...frogs and toads ❤️
    My grandmother taught me to spin and weave..there are just too many interesting skills out there !!

    AntwortenLöschen
  9. Hei Viola,
    Storkene er så vakre, og du er så heldig som kan få sett de. Storkene er imponerende fugler. Nydelige tulipaner også.
    Klem

    AntwortenLöschen
  10. Dear Viola, thank you so much for sharing these beautiful photos of your walk. It feels great to be in nature, doesn't it?

    AntwortenLöschen
  11. You Are So Very Talented There My Dear - Absolutely Loved The Little Adventure With All The Photos - Well Done

    You Rock ,
    Cheers
    The Padre

    AntwortenLöschen
  12. How cool to see the storks!!
    The flowers are gorgeous.
    Yes, it is certainly good to be out and about!

    AntwortenLöschen
  13. Hello Viola
    What a lovely post to read and look at.
    So nice to see the storks.
    The flowers are lovely and what joy to go to the ballet.
    Nice to see you out and about too.
    Keep-on enjoying your April days.

    All the best Jan

    AntwortenLöschen
  14. Viola, around here there are no storks, only the ones they used to tell us brought the babies. That is, when I saw them, during my trip through Spain, I spent several minutes watching them, perched on the wires that ran parallel to the road.

    AntwortenLöschen
  15. Lovely to see photos of your Spring and those delicious cakes.

    AntwortenLöschen
  16. An estate near us as been rewilding their land, and now have a very rare sight; nesting storks! Common where you are, but very exciting in West Sussex England!

    AntwortenLöschen
  17. Lovely scenery there and thanks for showing it to us, love the reflection.
    You quilt is a good colour and it's looking very nice, and neat hand sewing the edges.
    Weaving, yes a bit far at 1 and half hours drive...look forward to you showing your result of what you are doing now.
    Take care.

    AntwortenLöschen
  18. I love your pictures of the countryside, and I think your weaving is beautiful 💜

    AntwortenLöschen
  19. We used to see nesting storks in France, such a beautiful sight. Your photographs are lovely especialy the one of refelctions in the water. Looking forwaard to seeing your finished quilt - and your weaving. Happy spring. xx

    AntwortenLöschen
  20. What an amazing post--- so many great things to see. The smiling frog made me laugh quite loudly!!

    AntwortenLöschen
  21. Hej Viola,
    Mooie natuurfoto's. Jullie hadden een heerlijke picknick. Ik vind het ook altijd bijzonder om de ooievaars te zien.
    Wat leuk dat je aan het weven bent. Het ziet er al prachtig uit.
    Fijn weekend!
    Lieve groet van Willy

    AntwortenLöschen
  22. That nest for the storks is huge. How fun to get to see them. Your photos are all wonderful. Weaving sounds interesting

    AntwortenLöschen
  23. Your spring flowers are very pretty, Viola.....and how interesting to see storks! Your weaving is lovely, and the ballet performance would have been wonderful.

    AntwortenLöschen
  24. The storks are magnificent, Viola, but so is everything else on your blog. You do lead a full and happy life. More should follow your example! Best wishes - David

    AntwortenLöschen
  25. Hello Viola :)
    What a lovely post. The flowers are gorgeous. Storks are a common sight in southern Portugal, and I have made many posts about them.
    Weaving is something I did in art collage, also printing on cotten material. Both were equally fascinating. Getting out in nature with our scetch pads was another activity I enjoyed, and still do, and I know you love the great outdoors in every season.That frog made me laugh, he seems to be smiling at you, but his blue face is very attractive. I can imagine what a wonderful experience it was to see the Sleeping Beauty ballet. The last time I saw a performance was many years ago when Rudolf Nureyev and the prima dona Margo Fontain visited Porto and danced Tchaiksky's Nutcracker Suite. A cherished memory. How lucky you are Viola to be able to see so many ballet performances.
    All the best
    Sonjia.

    AntwortenLöschen
  26. Lovely to see what you have been up to!! Beautiful days-- for picnicking and quilting--and weaving and opera.....!

    AntwortenLöschen
  27. Dear Barwitzki !
    Heartfelt thanks for your kind visit and lovely words on my blog🙏

    I enjoyed my visit thoroughly as your sharing is truly inspiring and beautiful ♥️👍

    Your love of creativity is very impressive my friend, it’s amazing how you still want learn to create more and different skills 🥰
    Five hours drive is something challenging when days no longer seem to be enough for things we tend to do.
    I would love to see your loom when it’s ready 🤗
    I hope weather becomes better for you enough to go out 🤞
    Sending best wishes for everything you are willing to do dear friend 🙏♥️

    AntwortenLöschen
  28. You have been having a wonderful life! I am impressed by the weaving and hope you get to go often. The storks are just amazing -- what a sight you are privileged to see. And the theatre and that ballet! Wow. Everything is so very beautiful! Happy weekend!

    AntwortenLöschen
  29. The storks and the weaving especially feel like they belong to a slower, more grounded way of living.

    AntwortenLöschen
  30. I love the colors in your woven fabric. I look forward to seeing what you make with it. The nature photos are lovely, too!

    AntwortenLöschen
  31. Beautiful photos, Viola. The frog smiling brought a smile to my face. Enjoy your spring and the blooming flowers.

    AntwortenLöschen
  32. The fabric that you are currently working on is so pretty. I love the colours. You sound very busy and content.

    AntwortenLöschen
  33. Zauberhafte Impressionen aus deiner Welt des Lebens in Schönheit und Harmonie. Da freut sich mein Herz - Licht dringt ein! Wie schön und berührend das Storchenpaar, die farbenfrohen Tulpen, der hoffentlich gut versteckte Frosch - ein Prachtexemplar. Und u auf dem Frühlingsweg: WUNDERSCHÖN! Der dicke Zopf!!!!!
    Nichts ohne edle Kultur und schöne Kreationen in Textil!
    Ganz herzliche Grüße von Dori aus dem Bayerwald

    AntwortenLöschen
  34. Ich erinnere mich an Störche, die wir in Brandenburg gesehen haben, als wir zu dem Haus gefahren sind, in dem meine Mutter in den letzten Kriegsjahren gelebt hat. Danach habe ich sie vor allem im Elsass und in der Türkei gesehen - wunderbare Vögel.

    AntwortenLöschen
  35. How special to watch the pair of Storks raise their young in that fabulous nest.
    So many pretty flowers in your garden and also on your nature walk.
    Always nice to get to the binding on a quilt.
    Beautiful weaving you are working on Viola.

    AntwortenLöschen
  36. So many lovely things in your post, Viola. I love the happy picture of you walking along the path. Watching the storks in that magnificent nest would be something very special.
    Well done on your quilt. I always like binding by hand, too.

    AntwortenLöschen
  37. Thank you for sharing the delights of Spring with us! I'm truly envious about those storks! They're quite rare in these parts.
    The performance of Tchaikovsky's Sleeping Beauty looks amazing and I can't wait to see that twill fabric you're weaving. You definitely are a lady of many talents! xxx

    AntwortenLöschen
  38. I loved seeing the storks-how fun to be able to watch them before they migrate. I enjoyed all of your photos. Awesome I did not realize you are a weaver too-I have a small 4 harness 30" width loom that I bought probably 50 years ago and it has traveled with me where ever I go.
    Happy new week Kathy

    AntwortenLöschen
  39. I enjoyed each photo immensely Viola, thank you so much for sharing them. How very nice to see you on your walk and a weaver too? You are a person of many talents. Sleeping Beauty is a favorite ballet. I would love to see it performed. I saw a live performance of Swan Lake many years ago. It is a wonderful memory. Thank you for another lovely post. Wishing you a very happy week!

    AntwortenLöschen
  40. How fun to watch the storks, and what an impressive nest they make.... lovely to be weaving a piece of your own fabric...
    Hugz

    AntwortenLöschen
  41. Lots to enjoy in this post from spring, storks, ballet and beautiful weaving. What a wonderful to have. B x

    AntwortenLöschen
  42. The storks look wonderful. How exciting to see them raise a family.
    Your flowers are beautiful with lovely colours.
    The weaving looks really interesting. You are fortunate to have access to a loom to use. It will be good to see the result of your work.

    I have to let you know that I tried to reply to your lovely comment on my blog, but the message failed. I think it is a problem with my set up, so I will have to work on that. Apologies for that.

    AntwortenLöschen
  43. Dear Viola, the close-up photo of the cake is nice, and the beautiful forest above is eye-catching.
    We didn't go out into nature this weekend, but we went to a painting exhibition. The painters of my town painted spring with a brush on canvas so that it would last a long time.
    Hugs. Éva

    AntwortenLöschen
  44. Un paseo precioso. Estoy deseando ver la colcha terminada, también la pieza del telar. Tenemos muchas cigüeñas por aquí, es el ave de Extremadura. Besos.

    AntwortenLöschen
  45. I love seeing the stork photos! And the quilt! Now, the weaving is especially interesting to me as I have owned a loom.

    AntwortenLöschen
  46. Å, så fine bilder! Storkepar :) og kunst, kultur og kreativitet. Fantastisk! :)

    AntwortenLöschen
  47. Viola, you're great at working on the loom. It requires a lot of attention and color selection. Your tulips are beautiful, while mine are still just in bud. But the weather has gotten colder, and I think the plants will slow down a bit. I'm glad you like the Sleeping Beauty ballet. I love the Waltz of the Flowers from that ballet.

    AntwortenLöschen
  48. Wenn ich Störche in ihrem Nest sehe, muss ich auch immer zum Handy greifen um sie zu fotografieren. Schön sind alle Bilder, die du uns zeigst. Ja, man muss einfach raus in die Natur … und wenn man den Blick so wie du hat, Viola, kann man auch viel entdecken.
    Liebe Grüße von Heidii

    AntwortenLöschen
  49. Störche sind faszinierend wie auch die Veränderungen der Natur im Frühling. Da muss man raus und alles genießen.
    Liebe Grüße von Heike

    AntwortenLöschen
  50. I love that weaving! I can't wait to see when it is finished!!.......Abrazotes, Marcela

    AntwortenLöschen
  51. Her var det mange forskjellige ting du ser, gjør og har opplevd!
    Vakkert, flott og interessant! Vakker tur i naturen, og de svanene er jo fantastiske! Og du syr og lager ting hele tiden - flotte saker!
    Jeg skulle gjerne også smakt på kaken. Den ser deilig ut!
    Det ser ut som om du får tid til alt! Flere gode dager ønskes av Tove/fargeneforteller.

    AntwortenLöschen
  52. ...als Storchenliebe... Tolle Fotos zeigst Du uns, liebe Viola und Deine Interessen sind so vielseitig. Weben, nähen, backen, so toll!! Jetzt muss man unbedingt raus in die frische und grüne Natur und einfach genießen...
    Ich wünsche Dir eine wunderschöne Frühlingszeit und starte gut in den Wonnemonat Mai.
    Sei herzlich gegrüßt von Traudi.🌸

    AntwortenLöschen
  53. Was für ein fröhlicher und schöner Post liebe Viola. Die Blütenträume sind herrlich anzuschauen und Du wie Du so fröhlich dahinspazierst zaubert einem ein Lächeln ins Gesicht. Ich mag die Natur im Moment auch in jeder freien Minute genießen. Einen schönen 1.Mai wünschen wir Dir.

    Herzliche Grüße
    Kerstin und Helga

    AntwortenLöschen
  54. What a beautiful day to walk. Your weaving is stunning. I tried to send a thankyou reply to your comment on my blog post, but blogger has set you to no reply. Thank you for your lovely comments.

    AntwortenLöschen
  55. wow...gorgeous tulips, mine have come and gone but brought much joy while they were in bloom!! hasn't the fresh air been amazing? after such a long winter. i don't see storks here and i really enjoyed the pictured you shared!! i LOVE seeing any live productions!!

    AntwortenLöschen
  56. Hello Viola, thank you for the comment on my blog about Volkswagen and telling me about the cars you bought. I appreciated the visit and was happy to read this post about the storks and looms. We also saw many stork nests on our Portugal visit last year. The apartment building we live in was once a textile mill manufacturing flannel blankets with many very large roomful-sized looms.

    AntwortenLöschen
  57. Kjære Viola!
    Så mange fine opplevelser du har hatt! Og så flink du er med hendene dine! Ser ut til at du kan nyte sommeren allerede. Her har vi en kald periode nå, og snøen er ikke langt unna. Det er ikke uvanlig her vi bor.

    Klem fra Ingunn

    AntwortenLöschen
  58. das erste Storchnebild ist sooo rührend ..
    ich hoffe es klappt mit der Aufzucht der Jungen..
    und so schöne Naturbilder wieder
    dass du weben kannst finde ich toll
    das macht sicher riesigen Spaß an so einem großen Webstuhl
    LG
    Rosi

    AntwortenLöschen
  59. How wonderful that you know how to weave! You are a real fabric artist. I have a good friend in British Columbia who is finishing a master's degree in weaving. She just loves doing it!

    AntwortenLöschen
  60. My grandmother used to weave but I never learned. Your fabric is beautiful. I love the quilt you finished. The quilting is gorgeous.

    AntwortenLöschen

Blog-Archiv