Freitag, 22. Mai 2026

My weaving project is finished 



I had the opportunity to visit Großschönau—the very cradle of damask, dating back as far as 1660. Furthermore, Germany's first handloom for weaving terry cloth also rolled off the line in this textile village—back in 1856. Today, one can admire one of these looms at the town's German Damask and Terry Cloth Museum. However, I would like to present the piece I wove myself at the "old" weaving school...



I love working on looms like these. Unfortunately, I rarely get the chance.

I wove in twill weave and also wove some plain weave as a small introductory sample... I was able to develop some beautiful patterns.



Removing the woven piece from the loom is called unbuckling/Abbäumen.




Joy


Weaving is done in socks!



We had all kinds of weather - hailstones, lots of rain but also sunshine.




We also took a trip to Freiberg in the Ore Mountains—a region that has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2019.




Our main objective was to head underground—into the "Reiche Zeche" mine. We descended the shaft in a hoisting cage suspended by a cable—hence the term "Seilfahrt" (cable ride); the cage accommodates up to six people, and we traveled 150 meters down in 80 seconds.




Under expert guidance, the work underground was explained to us, and we covered several kilometers through various tunnels... we were outfitted with overalls, rubber boots, helmets, and mining lamps!







Volunteers step forward—here we were allowed to venture into a narrow, historic tunnel—and I actually went ahead and did it! :-))



Guided tours cover a distance of up to approximately 2 km; however, the entire mine network extends to 2,000 km and today forms part of the Research and Teaching Mine of the TU Bergakademie Freiberg, which was founded as early as 1765. 

It makes perfect sense to head to the "Terra Mineralia" mineral exhibition—hosted by the TU Bergakademie Freiberg—after my mine tour... it is truly magnificent... enjoy it!


Calcit

Rhodochrosit

Malachit

Calcit in Quarzdruse

Pyromorphit

Krokoit

Azurit

Bergkristall

Calcit auf Amethyst


I bought myself a pair of silver stud earrings with rubies—after all, we had just visited the historic silver mine (mining operations ceased in 1969).



With the old miners' greeting "Glück auf!" (Good luck!), I send everyone warm greetings and a happy Pentecost to all those celebrating... we're having fantastic summer weather.

Thanks. 

Viola



65 Kommentare:

  1. Kjære Viola,
    Teppet du vevde ble veldig fint.
    Flotte bilder av de forskjellige bergkrystallene.
    Det er morsomt at du skriver om sølvgruver. I min hjemby Kongsberg var det flere sølvgruver. De som lærte opp de norske arbeiderene var alle tyske. Det er mange gatenavn der som er oppkalt etter de.
    Klem fra Marit

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. The weaving is beautiful, I bet the texture feels so nice. The gems are lovely! I don't know if I would have had the courage to go down into the silver mine. Enjoy the earrings!

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. It is high-quality cotton yarn, and it wove beautifully. Indeed, the runner has a lovely texture, and I am very pleased with it. Thanks to the twill weave, it is also nice and thick.

      Löschen
  3. Så flink du er! Spennende å høre om alt du har opplevd. Liker veldig god den vevinga di. Nydelige farger. Ønsker deg og familien riktig god pinse!
    Klem fra Ingunn

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. Ein interessanter Ausflug in das Bergwerk sehr schöne Mineralien.
    Wünsche frohe Pfingsten.
    Gruß
    Noke

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. ...Viola, you use color well, I love the weaving. I'd preferr to stay above ground, no mines for me. Be well.

    AntwortenLöschen
  6. Your weaving is lovely. Such adventures underground, too. Not sure I'd have ventured into the mine, though. You're intrepid.

    AntwortenLöschen
  7. You have been very busy, so many beautiful and interesting things done, love your weaving design.

    AntwortenLöschen
  8. Your weaving is amazing. I love those colors. I have a friend who has a loom, and she makes some great things too. I always love how the colors work together in pieces. And what a fun time you've had lately. I think those earrings were a good find too. They are lovely. Have a super weekend ahead.

    AntwortenLöschen
  9. Love the weaving! I can appreciate the mining and the minerals but not sure I would be brave enough to go down like you did! lol

    AntwortenLöschen
  10. Das waren ja tolle Erlebnisse. Und deine Socken passen perfekt zu deinem gewebten Projekt.
    LG Renate

    AntwortenLöschen
  11. I love the weaving! My grandmother used to have a loom and she made rugs for everyone. Those rugs almost never came apart no matter what. I enjoyed learning some of that as a kid.

    AntwortenLöschen
  12. So much to appreciate: the weaving, the underground photos, the rocks and minerals, and you by the waterfall in your red jacket.

    AntwortenLöschen
  13. Wie schön mit deinem gewebten Stück und interssant dort ein toller Ausflug und auch im Bergwerk mit all den glitzerten farbigen Mineralien. Das war so spannend dein Posting wo du warst mit den tollen Fotos und Erklärungen!
    Hab einen schönes Pfingsfest!
    Lieben Gruss Elke

    AntwortenLöschen
  14. Oh, what a beautiful fabric! The minerals are really interesting!

    AntwortenLöschen
  15. Kære Viola, jeg så din kommentar hos Marit og kommer helt til at savne at blogge - jeg er kun på Facebook og på Instagram nu. Hvor er det smukt, hvad du har vævet!!!
    Klem fra Gitte (tidligere Madame fra Huskebloggen)

    AntwortenLöschen
  16. The woven piece is beautiful, Viola. I love the colors. Your trip sounds interesting and fun. I would love to visit the mine. It would be a great adventure. You selected a pretty pair of earrings, too!

    AntwortenLöschen
  17. Your woven piece is beautiful. Love the new earrings. How exciting to explore the mine.

    AntwortenLöschen
  18. Dear Viola, your woven piece is lovely. Your photos are beautiful.

    AntwortenLöschen
  19. Your weaving is beautiful. I love the colors!!

    AntwortenLöschen
  20. A lovely post and photographs which I enjoyed immensely.
    Lovely weaving and beautiful colour minerals.
    I don't think I could explore the mine as you did.

    Have a great weekend.

    All the best Jan

    AntwortenLöschen
  21. Interesting textile history..and lovely weaving! You have a good eye for colour.
    You wouldn't get me down a mine!!!!!

    Beautiful crystal formations

    AntwortenLöschen
  22. Wouldn't it be wonderful to have your own loom? It sounds like you really enjoyed working on one. Also enjoyed the exciting trip down into the mine. Brave girl!!!

    AntwortenLöschen
  23. Just look at the gorgeous colours in those minerals, Viola! And, the colours in your textile you weaved are lovely. Such a lovely pattern. It would be fabulous to own your own loom. Love the photo of you standing at the bottom of the waterfall. I've been down a very long mine, too. It's a little scary, isn't it??

    AntwortenLöschen
  24. What a delightful post to read! You have so many interests, you are living life to the fullest! Treating yourself to those beautiful earrings is a great way to keep your wonderful experience in the mine close to your heart!

    AntwortenLöschen
  25. Those minerals are wonderful but I wouldn't be keen on going down the mine. Love the earrings and your weaving.

    AntwortenLöschen
  26. I'd love to do a bit of weaving again..

    your tour and the mineral place look very intersting

    AntwortenLöschen
  27. Your weaving is beautiful, Viola! Oh wow, those crystals.....Mother Nature certainly knows how to put on a good show.

    AntwortenLöschen
  28. Thank you for sharing your adventures, in weaving and in visiting such interesting places.

    AntwortenLöschen
  29. That looks like an amazing place to visit. Your weaving is perfect. Something I would love to try.

    AntwortenLöschen
  30. Hej Viola!
    Oh så fint resultatet av din vävning blev. Vilket äventyr att besöka gruvan. Jag har varit i saltgruvan i Krakow, det var en upplevelse. Otroligt fina stenar och mineraler, örhängena är vackra.
    Trevlig helg /Marika

    AntwortenLöschen
  31. It's gorgeous your weaving, well done and it does looks amazing.
    The tour looks an interesting one and all the photos are lovely.

    AntwortenLöschen
  32. Your talent and creativity is boundless, Viola, and I never cease to be impressed with what you come up with, and the skills you employ. The last time I descended underground I didn’t really enjoy it as much as I might have since there were many interesting geological formations to capture the mind, but I found it claustrophobic and was glad to get back out to the open air. Have a fabulous weekend. I know you will! Best wishes - David

    AntwortenLöschen
  33. Deve essere una bellissima esperienza quella di lavorare sugli antichi telai per realizzare del tessuto con le proprie mani e secondo i propri gusti ! Interessante la visita nel sottosuolo, a me avrebbe fatto un pò paura !! Stupendi i minerali !! Piccoli gioielli di argento e pietre , piacciono molto anche a me. Saluti cari.

    AntwortenLöschen
  34. Kjempefin veving nydelige farger jeg å har gått halvårlig vevkurs i mine unge dager så da vevde jeg en del åkler osv.Tusen takk for titten kjempefine bilder. Ønsker deg en riktig fin helg fra Bodil på Vestre Flatset

    AntwortenLöschen
  35. Your woven piece is beautiful. How interesting it would be to go down into that mine.

    AntwortenLöschen
  36. What a fascinating post! Your weaving is beyond wonderful. It is spectacular. I love your sense of color and how you use colors together. And the trip to the mine and the beautiful rock/mineral samples sounds like great fun. I hope you have a fabulous week!

    AntwortenLöschen
  37. Servus Viola, danke für diese interessante Reise.
    LG aus Wien

    AntwortenLöschen
  38. A beautiful piece of weaving, the colours really speak to me. I have a friend who is a professional artist weaver and I took a course with her once (no talent for weaving in me, sadly, nor patience). My friend weaves the most wonderful portraits of people, absolutely stunning. Do you have a loom you can use at home? Such a wonderful creative activity.

    AntwortenLöschen
  39. Your woven piece is very pretty. I also love how your socks match your woven piece.

    AntwortenLöschen
  40. Your weaving piece is absolutely beautiful. What a wonderful tour of the mine and the minerals are amazing. Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend.

    AntwortenLöschen
  41. What an interesting post ! You woven piece of cloth is beautiful 💚 So many bright clear colours that go together. Marvellous. Well done. Gut gemacht 🙂 Greetings from Finland.

    AntwortenLöschen
  42. Beautiful weavind project. A beautiful outing to the mine, beautiful photos of the minerals.

    AntwortenLöschen
  43. Incredible - Absolutely Incredible - The Weaving Project Turned Out Tight And Gorgeous - The Cave And Minerals Completely Blew My Mind - Wasn't Expecting That Adventure At All - You So Rock

    Big Hugs ,
    Cheers

    AntwortenLöschen
  44. We once went to a mine where in addition to seeing the exhibitions, we could also "mine" amethyst. :) There were quite a few hidden there, so that visitors could feel a sense of accomplishment after buying the ticket. I don't remember if I finally found it, but I bought a small amethyst pendant for my necklace.
    I like to touch and look at all kinds of materials, but I've never woven one.
    The weather is hot here, and too hot for me. More than 30 C in May.
    Hugs. Éva from Hungary

    AntwortenLöschen
  45. How interesting--first the beautiful weaving. Then the interesting mine tour. And then the gorgeous mineral exhibition! Thank you!!!

    AntwortenLöschen
  46. Beautiful weaving project.
    A great interesting post.
    lovely earrings...

    AntwortenLöschen
  47. Så fin vevning du har laget, du er en tusenkunster som kan alt.

    AntwortenLöschen
  48. The results of your weaving project are absolutely fantastic Viola. And thank you so much for taking me along to fascinating Freiburg! xxx

    AntwortenLöschen
  49. Thank you for sharing your finished piece of weaving. It looks fantastic and so colourful. It is good that these old skills are still being taught today.
    You had another fantastic experience visiting the mines although I wouldn't have been as brave as you travelling down the mine shaft. The colours of the minerals in the exhibition are stunning. My favourite is the pyromorphit. I love the green. Enjoy wearing your lovely earings and have a good week ahead.

    AntwortenLöschen
  50. WOW!...those crystals are beautiful! and your weaving project is fantastic!!......Abrazotes, Marcela

    AntwortenLöschen
  51. You're doing well on the loom, Viola. The pattern is very beautiful! You're very brave to go down into the mine and walk several kilometers! I like your new earrings, they're tastefully made.

    AntwortenLöschen
  52. Oh, da habt ihr wieder viel erlebt. Toll, dass du das Weben ausprobieren konntest. Und dein Werk sieht sehr schön aus. Aber interessant ist natürlich auch deine Beschreibung von dem Bergwerk. Die Mineralien hast du auch toll fotografiert.
    Liebe Grüße von Heidi

    AntwortenLöschen
  53. Me gusta mucho lo que tejiste. El viaje a la mina precioso, yo bajé en noviembre pasado a otra y me gustó mucho. Besos.

    AntwortenLöschen
  54. Ah, los pendientes me encantaron, jaja.

    AntwortenLöschen
  55. For et fantastisk innlegg!
    Først vevingen som ble så flott - og så vakre farger!
    Videre den herlige fossen - for en natur!
    Så fra vakker natur og ned i tuneller under jorda. Helt utrolig flott tur gjennom de spennende tunellene. Min mann og jeg besøkte slike tuneller i USA for mange år siden.
    Og ikke minst til slutt - utstillingen "Terra Mineralia". Jeg elsker slike mineraler. Har vært på store utstillinger selv, blant annet på Madeira.
    Dette var virkelig flott, Viola. Tusen takk. Jeg vil nok se flere ganger!
    Hilsen fra Tove ://fargeneforteller.blogspot.com.

    AntwortenLöschen
  56. Wunderschön weben kannst du also auch noch, liebe Viola! 😍 Dein selbstgewebter Tischläufer ist ein absolutes Prachtstück geworden, du Frau mit den vielen Talenten!
    Solch alte Bergwerke sind sicherlich interessant, aber für mich auch ein bisschen mulmig. Die Vorstellung, welch harte, gefährliche Arbeit es unter Tage gewesen sein muss (und mancherorts immer noch ist), ist erschreckend. Die Mineralienausstellung „Terra Mineralia" hingegen zeigt, welche Wunderwerke die Natur hervorzubringen imstande ist. Deine neuen Silberohrstecker mit Rubinen finde ich ausgesprochen hübsch!
    Alles Liebe, Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2026/05/reisebericht-2025-von-ost-nach-west-auf.html

    AntwortenLöschen
  57. Was für traumhaft schöne Steine, damit kann man super sein Zuhause dekorieren, hat nicht jeder.LG Romy

    AntwortenLöschen
  58. Dear Viola, the weaving is beautiful - and your creativity is so great! I love those earrings - and learned about the Terrycloth and Damast Museum. I will jot a memo to visit it next year. Britta

    AntwortenLöschen
  59. Lindas fresas y linda cascada. Te mando un beso.

    AntwortenLöschen
  60. The weaving looks fun to do and your results were splended!
    Love the waterfall photo. Your trip sounds wonderful!

    AntwortenLöschen
  61. Love the woven design. Your photos make your mine excursion seem as though I am there. Love the beautiful mineral photos.

    Hugs and Blessings

    AntwortenLöschen
  62. I am new here. Are you a photographer? You take amazing photos.

    AntwortenLöschen

Blog-Archiv